enculturating las vegas into the next millennium... art, dance, film, music, poetry, theater, history, nature and everything else that enriches the lives of those who live and visit southern nevada... Since 2003...

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

International Museum Day...

It has been ten years since I dedicated my life to the museum field. Some may ask why I would choose such a path? A path without much riches except for the beautiful things that I care for. Goodness knows my two hands have touched some of the most important history in our community. I have held Las Vegas's original bill of sale; I have touched a Chinchorro mummy; I have driven Liberace's Volkswagen; I have played George Gershwin's piano; I have gazed upon rare photos and postcards; I have cared for a couple of local magicians costumes; I even coordinated the donation of a massive 300' sign. Even with all this said I still have an addiction for historical things that few people can fathom. Simply put this is the heart of a museum professional.

Museums are the caretakers of a communities patrimony and those of us who work in the field are the ones who take on the enormous responsibility to insure that patrimony is cared for and studied. Today museums around the world celebrate International Museum Day. This years theme is "Museums for Social Harmony." So if you have some time on your hands please make sure to go and visit a few museums this week. Heck every week!

For more information on Museums in Las Vegas and Nevada please visit the Nevada Museums Association site at http://www.nevadamuseums.org/


"Museums are an important means of cultural exchange, enrichment of cultures and development of mutual understanding, co-operation and peace among peoples." 
ICOM - International Council of Museums  

Brian Paco Alvarez enculturating Las Vegas into the millennium...

posted by Brian Paco Alvarez, Curator and Chronicler of Culture at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home