Call for Work - Opportunity to Exhibit '12 Inches of Sin' at Sin City Gallery in Las Vegas
12 Inches of Sin is the largest international juried exhibition of contemporary provocative art in Nevada. As an exploration of sensuality and the erotic, this show has a twist: every piece submitted for consideration must be one foot square or less. Judges such as former Las Vegas mayor Oscar Goodman, Christine Fey, Resource Development and Cultural Affairs Manager at City of Reno, and Will Roger Peterson, co-founder of Burning Man, evaluate the tension within the art itself, challenging each artist to produce an image that is deeply expressive, provocative, sensory and daring on such a small scale. Sin City Gallery, Las Vegas will hold the competition for its fifth year and is accepting art submissions thru October 31, 2015 at www.12ofsin.com.
THE COMPETITION PROCESS
Every year our juries are selected from a pool of leaders and specialists in the fields of art and culture. There are two primary competition categories, 12 Inches of Sin and Obscura. Submissions are placed in the appropriate category based upon medium. Voting is electronic. The highest votes are invited to participate in the exhibition. $12.00 (plus $.65 Paypal fee), 12 maximum submissions per artist.
12 INCHES OF SIN
An international group of twelve judges will choose twelve artists from the pool of international submissions to participate in a group exhibition at the Sin City Gallery, Las Vegas. A separate group of twelve international judges will choose the Best In Show awardee. The artist named the Best In Show receives an invitation for an exclusive solo exhibition at Sin City Gallery, in addition to having their winning piece featured on the cover of the accompanying art book, 12 Inches of Sin: So Much Art You Can Barely Fit It All In, Volume V. Invited artists will be featured in the art book.
New Annual Competition for Photographic Artwork
A novel juried exhibition and catalog devoted to the international accomplishments of artists in the photography field. Submissions that provoke, entice and enthrall can be made via traditional modes (cameras, polaroid, pinhole) and new digital technologies. Short film works are also accepted. An international group of twelve judges will choose twelve artists from the pool of international submissions to participate in a group exhibition at the Sin City Gallery, Las Vegas. A separate group of twelve international judges will choose the Best In Show awardee. The artist named the Best In Show receives an invitation for an exclusive solo exhibition at Sin City Gallery, in addition to having their winning piece featured in the accompanying art book, 12 Inches of Sin: So Much Art You Can Barely Fit It All In, Volume V. Invited artists will be featured in the art book.
LE SALON DES REFUSÉS DU PÉCHÉ
Gallery Director Dr. Laura Henkel will curate a grouping from the pool of outstanding work that was not selected by the jury. These works will be featured in a group exhibition at Sin City Gallery, Las Vegas. A select number of artists will be featured in the accompanying art book, 12 Inches of Sin: So Much Art You Can Barely Fit It All In, Volume V.
We are honored to have an esteemed panel of international jurors to determine the overall narrative of each exhibition. Each person is a respected expert in the field of art, academia and publishing.
- Allena Gabosch (USA) is one of the founders of the Seattle Erotic Arts Festival in Seattle, Washington.
- Catherine Johnson-Roehr (USA) is the curator and archivist for The Kinsey Institute in Bloomington, Indiana.
- Christine Fey (USA) is the Manager of Arts and Culture for the City of Reno, Nevada.
- Christopher John Ball is a widely exhibited, published and award-winning London based, fine arts photographer, playwright and co-founder of the Association of Erotic Artists in England.
- Dennis McBride (USA) is the Director of the Nevada State Museum, Las Vegas, Nevada and a widely published Nevada historian.
- François Dubeau (Canada) is a mixed-media artist and the President of Circuit des arts Memphrémagog in Montreal, Canada
- Henry Rosenthal (USA) is a documentary filmmaker, musician and arts advocate located in San Francisco, California
- Jerry Vile (USA) is an artist, publisher and co-founder of the Dirty Show in Detroit, Michigan.
- Marne Lucas (USA) is a photographer and filmmaker residing in Portland, Oregon and New York City, New York.
- Oscar Goodman (USA) is an American attorney, politician and art activist. He was the mayor of Las Vegas, Nevada from 1999 to 2011.
- S.R. Sharp (USA) is an artist and one of the founding members of the Tom of Finland Foundation in Los Angeles, California.
- Steve Diet Goedde (USA) is a photographer and author in Los Angeles, California.
- Cory Mervis (USA) is a multi disciplinary artist, entrepreneur, and producer of large-scale projects. A force of nature who produces art of monumental scope & effect in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Eric Minh Swenson (USA) is a photographer, documentary filmmaker and writer for The Huffington Post in Los Angeles, California.
- JK Russ (New Zealand/USA) is a multi-media artist, filmmaker and art blogger for The Huffington Post in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Julian Murphy (USA) is an artist and co-founder of Erotic Signature in Washington, D.C.
- JP Rakehorn (UK/Bulgaria) is an artist specializing in figurative illustrations utilizing classical techniques in Sofia, Bulgaria.
- Lou Lou Roxy (USA) is a burlesque performer, as well as co-producer of Afterglow, the official after-party celebration for the 12 Inches of Sin exhibitions in Detroit, Michigan.
- Madison Young (USA) is the artistic director and founder of Femina Potens in San Francisco, California.
- Melinda Sheckells (USA) is a published writer and editor of Vegas Rated Magazine in Las Vegas, Nevada.
- Sister Loosy Lust Bea Lady (USA) is a performance artist and founder the Las Vegas chapter of The Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence.
- SM Shifflett (USA) is an American painter specializing in classical Renaissance techniques to capture modern themes in San Francisco, California.
- Will Roger Peterson (USA) is a photographer, professor and one of the founding members of Burning Man, San Francisco, California.
- Laura Henkel (USA) is the director of Sin City Gallery and the creator of 12 Inches of Sin in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Sin City Gallery is known internationally as a destination experience. The gallery is continually featured in the press for its exemplary exhibitions. The gallery produces 12 Inches of Sin, the largest international juried art exhibition of provocative contemporary art in Nevada. The gallery has been recognized as one of the best 25 galleries in American by the American Art Awards. It is located inside The Arts Factory at 107 E. Charleston Boulevard, Suite 100, Las Vegas, Nevada in the Downtown Las Vegas 18bArts District. Information regarding the gallery’s exhibitions may be viewed on the gallery's website.www.sincitygallery.com
Brian Paco Alvarez enculturating Las Vegas into the millennium...