enculturating las vegas into the next millennium... art, dance, film, music, poetry, theater, history, nature and everything else that enriches the lives of those who live and visit southern nevada... Since 2003...

Friday, October 21, 2011

Creep Fest and everything else that is hauntingly fun...

Yours truly dressed to kill
Photo taken by Curtis Walker
Photo Bang Bang
http://photobangbang.com/
Lets face it I like horror and sci-fi everything, especially anything to do with vampires, zombies and the occasional exorcism. The whole notion of going around being immortal, sucking peoples blood or brains or excising them of demons is in some way disturbingly appealing to me. Not that I would go around practicing such things but of course I am not immortal... yet...

Though I will admit having a penchant for the very things that cool-the-spine I am always on the hunt for more knowledge about the subject. Anything to do with the occult, witchcraft, mysticism, secret societies and the paranormal always peek my curiosity. Anybody that has been over to my house notices my library with a relatively extensive collection of literature on these matters. Some will either brush it off as just literature that opens the mind or others freak out and never return. I always tell those who do freak that it was just part of my university studies on comparative religions; if it helps calm their nerves. wink...

Since it is that time of the year when the veil between this world and the next are at their thinnest it would be very appropriate to talk about all the creepy stuff that makes us shudder at night. So for me to activate my creep senses I had the pleasure to see a two amazing theatrical performances, one a horror flick and the other a horror play. After seeing both I can officially say that I am creeped out, which only means Halloween is here in full force.

The first show that I saw was "Rage," a movie by independent movie Director Chris Witherspoon. The movie was screened at the 2nd Annual PollyGrind Movie Festival hosted at Theater 7 in Downtown. Set in Portland Oregon the movie takes us through an exceptional thriller with a very twisted end that makes you think twice about taking someone's parking space in Downtown. The movie had me on the edge of my seat, but it was the karmic lesson that left the most impression. If you have personal demons that you have to face don't watch this movie. It will leave you feeling really creeped out especially for those who live in the burbs.
"Neighborhood 3: Requisition of Doom"
at the Black Box inside the 
Las Vegas Little Theater 

The second show that I saw was Jennifer Haley's "Neighborhood 3: Requisition of Doom" directed by Troy Heard. Set in the stereotypical suburban neighborhood, the play takes you through the trials and tribulations of American households dealing with teenagers way to preoccupied with video games. Though this twisted tale blurs the line between video games and reality, it left me wanting to come back and see it again. The set was visually stunning, especially for such a small space as the Black Box inside the Las Vegas Little Theater. And for a dress rehearsal I do have to say that it was pretty damn amazing. I have to give it to Troy and company they pulled off yet another little masterpiece, albeit a really twisted one.

So with the freak fest well underway Las Vegas is more than ready to celebrate all that goes bumps-in-the-night...

Happy Halloween or as some would prefer Happy Samhain...

Theater 7
1406 South 3rd Street
Las Vegas, NV 89104
In the Downtown Arts District
(702) 568-9663
http://theatre7lv.com/

PollyGrind Film Festival
http://grindhousefest2011.pollystaffle.com

Las Vegas Little Theatre
3920 Schiff Drive
Las Vegas, NV 89103
702–362-7996
http://lvlt.org/

Brian Paco Alvarez enculturating Las Vegas into the millennium...

posted by Brian Paco Alvarez, Curator and Chronicler of Culture at

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home